03 September 2008

What's In The Box?

Listen carefully to that still, small voice, and then do some honest soul searching. What's in your box? is it money? Career? Family? Freedom?
Photobucket
I have been browsing through this book which I read some time ago, "Half Time - Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance". I came across this question abt "What's in the box?"

Recent events in my life has really made me stop to think about regaining control of my life. A friend of mine at age of 36 suffered AVM (a vein in his brain ruptured) and is now recovering in the hospital. Then there was a sudden death followed by another colleague who landed himself in hospital supposing due to stress at work.

It's been said that "Unless a person takes charge of them, both work and free time are likely to be disappointing". Been in my second half, "it should be about regaining control of my life....about calling your own shots. I suppose getting back to the center requires us to downshift, to slow down. And once we have return to the core - once we know who we are and what's in the box - we can accept the fact that some of the things on the perimeter will not receive as much attention as they once did. Some things will be more important than others; some may need to be ignored altogether. But regardless of what stays and what gets tossed aside, the point is that we no longer let someone else decide that for us. We create capacity for the things that matter."

Well here are some practical ways I hope to practice:-

1. Delegate - at work, play and home
2. Do what yo do best; drop the rest.
3. Know when to say no.
4. Set limits
5. Work with people you like
6.Take the phone off the hook...learn to hide gracefully.

Well wish me all the best in all these practical ways

No comments: